Keeping your house clean can be a real hassle at times. But do you know what helps? Having the right tools, of course. Nowadays, you can enjoy a tool for everything you need to do to maintain your house clean. You have vacuums for dust and dirt, there arespecificcleaning solutions from anything from glass to wood, and there is a washer for anything, whether it is clothes or dishes. No matter how you look at it, there is something that will provide help in any area of your house.
But what about mops? “What about them?” you may ask. A mop is the most basic cleaning tool you have in your home, but it has evolved as well over the years. It may not have reached a hi-tech level. I don’t see that happening, but it has come a long way. It’s no longer a simple sponge at the end of a stick. That sponge has been improved. It’s denser and has better cleaning abilities. Manufacturers have added all sorts of mechanisms that can help you squeeze it dry. The point is that the sponge mop has become better overall.
The advantages of using a sponge mop
As simple as it may be, a sponge mop is very helpful around the house. I can’t deny the fact that there are a few other alternatives, but this one still proves to be among the best floor cleaning solutions.
- ü It can scrub like nobody’s business. The good thing about a sponge mop is that it can cleanefficiently without too much effort. Have you ever tried to remove a dry spot of food on your kitchen floor with a microfiber mop? It’s hard. Why? Because the microfiber mop was not designed to scrub, only to gather all the dust. Whereas a sponge mob can do both. It can collect dust, but because of its flat design, it will leave a clear trail over every single inch of your kitchen floor. You don’t have to go back twice in the same spot, and you definitely don’t have to soak it first.
- ü It can fit into tight spaces. Again, the design is responsible for this. Not only that it is square most of the times, but a sponge mop can modify its size, as you well know. You can squeeze it into small places. You don’t have to do it by hand. Just think about the space between the stove and the countertop cupboard, or the fridge and the wall. Would another mop fit in there? Of course not? But a sponge mop will. Also, don’t forget about the corners. No other mop in the world will clean corners as well as a sponge mop.
- ü You can cover large surfaces in a short period. Especially if you choose a wide sponge mop. The way it crosses over every kind of surface will be very helpful. It goes smoothly. Also, some other mops leave fibers behind. They get hooked under the chairs, for example, or because you have been using them for a while, they just begin to rip apart. But you won’t have these issues with a sponge mop. Unless you cut it yourself.
Just like any other product on the market, a sponge mop comes with drawbacks as well.
- ü It can get tiring at some point. But only if you have a huge house. Pushing a sponge mop around, or giving a proper scrub to the kitchen floor, may consume some of your energy. But then again, so will every other mop. As far as I know, they still haven’t invented a mop that goes around the house by itself.
- ü You have to clean it regularly. It’s not enough to stick it in the bucket. You must clean it properly, or the next time you use it, the mop will not give you the satisfaction you need. It can leave nasty trails. But again, you have to do this with all mops, no matter the kind.
- ü It can suffer shape modifications. Sponges are this way. After a while, they lose their elasticity, and they can solidify. It’s a natural process. Nothing lasts forever. Other types of mops go through the same wear and tear, each in its own way.
There is no such thing as a perfect mop. A sponge mop has its disadvantages, but one thing is for sure. It will do its job as long as it can. Especially if you go for a high-quality product, which I recommend you do.
How to choose the best sponge mop
Sponge mops fall into two categories: poor quality and excellent. Honestly, I have never seen an in-betweener. Here is what a great product provides
- ü A high-quality sponge – not all sponges are the same. Some are weak and will tear at the first linoleum covered floor, but the ones you seek are made of high-density foam. That ensures durability and a great scrubbing ability. You can rub that sponge mop all you want. Tearing will be the last thing it can happen.
- ü A sturdy handle – the ones made of low-density aluminum will bend the minute you force it. That means you have to buy a new handle. Save yourself some money and go with a handle made of a hard metal. It will last a lot longer than the aluminum one.
- ü A hook at the top of the handle – Why? Because sponges modify their shape if they are kept in one position for too long. Leave it wet in the closet, and the next time you want to use it, you will notice that it’s no longer round at the edges. It will be flattened on a side. But a hook will allow you to hang it somewhere. It’s the best way to keep a sponge mop.
- ü A reliable squeezing mechanism – nobody likes squeezing the mop with their hands. You know where it’s been. Do you really want to touch it? I thought so. But at the same time, you don’t want a mechanism that will fail you anytime soon. So make sure to choose the right one. The best way you can tell is from the reviews. Read a few sponge mops reviews, and you will know which one is suited for you.
What are the best sponge mops?
Tough questions. There are so many out there that you get all confused. They are made of different kind of sponges, the handles are different, and even the wringing mechanisms are dissimilar. Just to get you out of confusion, here are a few products that you may like.
Rubbermaid RCPG780 PVA Sponge Mop
If you are looking for a super absorbent sponge mop, you found it. It is ideal if you have small children that like to spill from their high chair. It can absorb any liquid, no matter the density. From water to syrup, this PVA sponge mop will clean it in a second. You know those commercials where the lady just swaps the mop once, and the dirt is gone? This is one of those mops. You will be very satisfied with its performance.
The sponge is high-quality. It will not lint and will not tear. Not anytime soon, anyway. The mop is so smooth and soft that it will not scratch any surface. You can even wash your windows with it. Not a single scratch. But don’t underestimate its softness. Thanks to Rubbermaid’s density, you will be able to remove dirt and debris from all the deep grooves, like the spaces between tiles and your porch.
The handle is comfortable to grip, it will not slip out of your hands, and it can extend as far as 48 inches. If you need to wash walls or high windows, this feature will come in handy. It’s not just long, but wide as well. The sponge is 12 inches, which will help you clean a larger area in a shorter amount of time. If you are a busy mom, you will appreciate those few extra minutes.
You don’t have to touch the sponge and squeeze it dry. The Rubbermaid sponge mop has a riveted wringing mechanism of the highest quality. It will not break and will not let you down. It’s easy to use and will squeeze the sponge until there is no more water to squeeze. I suppose you don’t want your floors to dry in a matter of hours, do you? Click here to read more reviews and buy on Amazon.
Quickie Super Squeeze Sponge Mop
This is another perfect example of a durable sponge mop. It will not tear in the near future. The foam is so resistant that you will be using this mop for a long while. Which is great. Nobody likes buying a new mop every few weeks.
The spring back metal hand wringer is durable. It will squeeze the water easily and efficiently. Your floors will dry in no time. You can also use it to gather spilled liquids of the floors. The cellulose sponge is highly absorbent, but smooth and soft at the same time. It will not scratch your laminate floors or your windows if you choose to use it that way.
The handle is 48 inches, which will help you reach high places. The manufacturer claims that this sponge mop can be used on multiple surfaces, not just floors, so if you want to wash your walls with it, you can. The handle has a hang-up feature. I said before that a sponge mop will modify its shape if you leave it moist on the floor. But like this, you can hang it in the closet. It’s the perfect way to preserve its shape.
Another feature that you will love about Quickie is the built-in spot scrubber, for those stubborn spots on your floor. One drawback about this sponge mop is that it sheds a lot of strings at first, but after you use it a couple of times, the problem will disappear. But overall, you will be very happy with this choice. Click here to read more reviews and buy on Amazon.
Vileda Professional Roll-O-Matic
This is one of the classics, so to speak. It was released in the 1980s, and it was a big hit at the time. The manufacturer didn’t give up. The competition got fierce since then, even if we are talking about sponge mops. But if you think about it, this is a domain just like any other. So the Roll-O-Matic improved and still manages to be among the best sponge mops on the market.
The self-wringing mop is very absorbent. It will hold any liquid, no matter the density. The head has a straight design, which allows the user to flip the mop head after a while. That means you can use it for longer.
The product is extremely lightweight. You will be handling it with ease. Not to mention that the sponge itself is smooth, which means your job mopping the floors will be close to effortless. The handle is straight, which makes it possible for you to use both sides. The length is 48 inches. You can reach in high places without issues. The manufacturer actually recommends using this sponge mop for washing the walls and ceilings, but truth be told, everyone uses it on floors.
The overall impression is excellent. The galvanized steel this mop is made of will ensure a long-lasting life. Unless you use the sponge until you shred it, you will own this sponge mop quite some time. In the long run, the Vileda Professional Roll-O-Matic will save you a lot of cash. Click here to read more reviews and buy on Amazon.
Making a choice among these three products is pretty hard considering the fact that they are all high-quality and durable. But judging by their features, I would go with Quickie Super Squeeze. It seems that the wringing feature is the most efficient, and the built-in spot scrubber makes a difference. That is why I consider it to be the best sponge mop I could find.
Cleaning your house is a pretty serious thing. At least in my opinion. Nobody likes a cluttery house, but at the same time, nobody likes making too much effort. Having the right helpers around is something to invest in. A high-quality sponge mop makes no exception. Click here to buy on Amazon
- Whispered Best Microfiber Mop Secrets
- Top Best Mop for Wood Floors Choices
- Top Guide of Best Floor Cleaner for Tile
- The Benefits of Best Floor Mop
- Finding the Best Wonder Mop
- Ideas, Formulas and Shortcuts for Best Mop for Hardwood Floors
- Where to Find Spin Mop Reviews
- The Hidden Truth About Floor Cleaning Mop Exposed
- The Honest to Goodness Truth on Best Cleaner for Tile Floors
- The Ultimate Cleaning Mop Trick
- The Key to Successful Floor Mop
- How to Choose Best Mop for Tile
- The Bizarre Secret of Best Mop for Tile Floors
- The Newly Leaked Secrets to Best Tile Floor Cleaner Disclosed
- Sponge Mop: No Longer a Mystery
- The Best Mop for Tile Floors and Grout Trap
- The Pitfall of Floor Cleaners for Tile
- Ideas, Formulas and Shortcuts for Mops for Tile Floors
- Best Way to Clean Tile Floors for Dummies
- Cleaner for Tile Floors Exposed
- The Debate Over Squeegee Mop
- Top Best Kitchen Mop Guide!
- How to Choose Sponge Floor Mop
- The Most Ignored Answer for Cleaning Mop with Spin and Dry
- Best Mop to Clean Tile Floors Can Be Fun for Everyone
- The Newly Leaked Secret to Best Wet Mop for Tile Floors Discovered
- The Ultimate Floor Mop Reviews Trick
- What You Should Do About Sponge Mop Reviews Starting in the Next Four Minutes
- Best Hardwood Floor Mop Secrets That No One Else Knows About
- The Dirty Facts About Mop and Bucket
- The Do’s and Don’ts of Best Spin Mop
- Reliable Strategies for Best Steam Mop Hardwood Floors That You Can Use Today
- The Demise of Best Floor Cleaner
- The Secret of Self Wringing Mop That No One Is Talking About
- Floor Cleaner Mop – Is it a Scam?